School of Hard Knocks


 We had some "adventures" in January. And, they all happened in the same week! First, Henry cut his hair. He came upstairs with a big smile on his face and said "Mommy, look! I cut my own hair!" He was very proud of himself. I took one look at him, gasped, and then tried to hold in my laughing. He immediately got embarrassed and ran away to hide. I know that a lot of kids do this, but this was really bad. The pictures don't capture the whole thing. There was no "cute" way to fix it. He cut right down to the scalp all over the top of his head. He looked like a cancer patient who had lost chunks of hair. He was too embarrassed to show his face at school because of how it looked, so I tried my best to give him a haircut. I could not cut it short enough to hide it. It looked better, but still pretty obvious. I don't think Henry will try that again. I don't think Henry will cut his own hair again.


 
After his new haircut






A few days later we were celebrating cousin Sarah's first birthday. The boys were playing with the other kids outside. William came inside screaming holding his bloody mouth. He had collided with someone in the dark while playing outside. One of his baby teeth was barely hanging in place. We weren't sure if we should pull it out or push it back in. Luckily, one of our very good friends is a dentist. We went to his house and he pulled it out the rest of the way. Poor William!! The tooth still had the entire root and he was hit so hard that it knocked it almost all the way out. I am SO grateful that it was just a baby tooth. Our friend said his permanent tooth should grow if quicker now. The tooth fairy was extra generous and gave him $2 for that tooth. $1 for the tooth and $1 for the root! Ha! It was a bloody and traumatic experience. William was a trooper.

To top things off, I had surgery on my right hand for carpal tunnel syndrome a few days later. My hands have been in constant pain since December. The recovery was more painful and difficult than I expected. I am extremely grateful for the people that helped our family through my recovery. Good thing I get to do it again on my left hand 6 weeks later! I intended to take a family picture of us during this time, but I never got around to it. Oh well.


Comments