A Visit from Grandpa and Grandma Monk and Keith

We had so much fun when Grandpa and Grandma Monk and Keith came to visit us in April! William and Henry had a blast playing basketball with them.



The highlight of the visit was when we went to Spanish Fork and toured a lot of the places from Grandma and Grandpa's youth. Grandpa is in the midst of writing his life history, so we stopped at a few of his childhood homes to get pictures of them.
 This is the home where Grandpa spent most of his teenage years.

 Another childhood home of Grandpa's. When they lived here they didn't have electricity or indoor plumbing! They used an outhouse behind the house.

 This is such a cute house! Another childhood home. It still has the name of the original owners on the gate.

 Grandpa was born in the upstairs room of this house.

 This is the church building where Grandma and Grandpa went to mutual every week. This is where Grandma passed a note to Grandpa asking him to be her tennis partner. Being tennis partners began their courtship.
 This is the house Grandpa and Grandma built after they were married. They lived here when my dad was born and when Grandpa decided to go to dental school. It's hard to fully comprehend all things that happened as a result of that inspiration and decision. It sounds like it was big decision for them to make, living in a small town with a steady job. It really changed the course of their lives and probably mine too. I'm very grateful to have grown up in a family that values education.
 Nathan's grandparents and mom also lived in Spanish Fork. I got to take Nathan's picture in front of Grandpa and Grandma Burton's former home that he visited as a child.
It's really special for me to have had this experience with my grandparents. I love and cherish them so much! It's so neat to drive by places that we had heard stories about for all of my life. We also drove by the block where the hotel was that Grandma grew up in. Unfortunately, it is no longer there so we didn't get a picture of it. I still remember being disappointed when I learned as a child that it no longer existed. When Grandma would tell us about it, I envisioned visiting and maybe staying there someday. Haha! I'm happy to be able to document these things for me and my family, too.

 It also made me want to visit Hill Air Force Base and other special places in Bunny and Didn's life. Come visit us! :-)

Comments

Amanda said…
So fun! I loved seeing all the pictures. I also an sad the hotel isn't there. I wanted to stay there too! Haha!
Candace said…
That was so cool to see all the places from their life. That would be awesome to see Bunny and Didn's places. One time they told me the story of how they met/fell in love and it was the most adorable thing to see them tell it.