My Special Texas Weekend




 

As a Christmas present, Nathan surprised me with a plane ticket to visit Amanda in Texas! I was so surprised! In fact, I don't know if I've ever been more surprised by a gift from him. It was so incredibly thoughtful. He and Amanda had been planning it for a few months and had totally kept it a secret!







Before I left I was telling the boys that I was going to be gone for a few days and they had this cute conversation:
Me: I'm going to go visit Goo-goo for the weekend and Daddy is going to stay home and take care of you instead of going to work.
W: Why?
Me: Just for fun. Imagine if Henry moved far away when you are grown up. You might go on an airplane to visit him.
W: No. Henry and I are always going to live in the same house.
H: Yeah.
W: And we're going to have a Jeep! Right Henry?
H: Yeah!
W: And we're going to drive it in the mud, but I'll drive it not Henry. We're going to go fast and get mud all over us!
H: Oohhh. I don't want to do that. (acting very concerned about getting dirty in the mud.)
W: Ok. Well we can leave your window up and only the driver (me) will get dirty then.
H: K.

Amanda and I had sooo much fun!! We talked the entire weekend. We went shopping every day, except Sunday. Luckily, the kids were really good to let us. Brian had to leave for the weekend to go to his grandpa's funeral and the kids were troopers to be dragged around everywhere we went. It was really fun to spend some one on one time with Lexi and Blake. I brought Lexi an ABC book that my boys really enjoy and she ended up learning her ABC's by the end of the weekend! She's so cute and catches on really fast.

We got pedicures and ate some really good food. Amanda totally catered to me while I was there. She made a few recipes of hers that I have been wanting to try but haven't gotten around to making them yet. We also went to one of my favorite restaurants and had some amazing tortillas and fajitas. Another really fun place we ate was at this trailer food place. They have a bunch of food trailers on an empty lot with picnic tables in the middle. We had sliders, fried Oreos and the best fried pickles ever!

The highlight of the trip was the amazing outlets we drove to on the first day. They had pretty much every outlet you could ever want, including Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. I bought some really great things and somehow everything fit in my suitcase. The best steal was our "sister bags" we got from Kate Spade. Amanda convinced me to check out the Kate Spade store while she was feeding Blake in the car. I had no desire to go in because I knew everything was going to be more expensive than I wanted to spend. Thank goodness we followed Amanda's instincts :-). Their sale was amazing!! In the end, Amanda was offered a job after the sales lady overheard how effectively she was selling me on bags, and we both walked away with matching red totes. They are super cute and I still can't believe what a great deal they were. We even called back that night and had one shipped to my mom for her birthday!


It was such a great weekend. Just remembering it puts a smile on my face. I am so grateful for my wonderful sister and amazing husband who put it all together. I'm thrilled with my souvenirs too :-). I can't wait for our next rendezvous!





Comments

Amanda said…
This really made me smile too, as I relived it. You forgot to mention that I also managed to keep it a secret; I'm sure I had a harder time than Nathan! I forgot about those fried pickles. I want to go back & get some! I'm still so thrilled about our bags. in fact, when I showed my friend & told her the story, she said, "Did you buy three then?!" Well actually... Haha! We really do have the best girls trips, NY, Chicago, here. Can't wait for Colorado :-)