Christmas Traditions and Happenings

We did a TON of fun things in celebration of the Christmas season this year. The boys loved it! My cousin Heidi spent a few days with us over Thanksgiving. We loved having her here! Sadly, I did not get a picture with her. She helped us make gingerbread houses. I had high (unrealistic) expectations for these houses... We each had our own little house and I thought we could have a little village set up for the holiday season. Wrong. We had lots of fun doing it, but the boys (Nathan included) much preferred to eat the candy. IF any candy made it on the the house, it lasted for about 30 seconds before it was removed and eaten. Henry quickly learned that the "glue" was frosting, so after he finished all the candy he deconstructed his house to lick the frosting off. Oh dear. Nathan did a fantastic job on his! But, after the picture he ate most of it too. I am very impressed with his skills though. I guess maybe I will buy twice as much candy next year and some of it may stay on the houses. We had lots of fun though!




I made a really fun and easy advent calendar with some friends. It was a mini muffin tin with 24 numbered papers with magnets covering the muffin cups. Each day in December the boys picked the corresponding day and found a fun activity inside. I was surprised at how much they LOVED this. Every day they would say "we need to pick the day!!" I filled some of the cups with candy and they were so bummed to open it and just find candy. We had to come up with something fun on those days too. Some days were simple, like having hot chocolate or watching a Christmas movie. Others were more involved like going to the Festival of Trees.


 We had an indoor snowball fight one day with crumpled up paper.


We had snowman pancakes. They had pretzel stick arms and powdered sugar snow on top.
We made sticker gingerbread houses, which were more successful than the real things.


We made reindeer cookies. They were so cute and so yummy! It was a peanut butter cookie with chocolate covered pretzel antlers, chocolate chip eyes, and a red m&m nose.

One afternoon when I went in to get Henry from his nap, I found that he had opened all of the Christmas presents from Grandma and Grandpa Bleak that I had been storing in his closet. He had opened the presents that were to me and Nathan and decided they were boring. I found them in the garbage! I'm glad I looked in it!


William had a cute little preschool program in December. Henry had a rough time understanding that only the kids in the class were going to perform. William was very proud and happy to have him on stage, as well. William did a great job singing the songs!


The Elf on the Shelf came to visit our house! We named him Fizzle. Santa sent him to keep and eye on William and Henry. Each morning he would be in a different spot. At night he would fly back to Santa and report on how everyone behaved that day.


 William was very proud of this picture he colored. He worked on it for days and it was beautiful!

 We had a very fun and festive Christmas season! William was afraid the Christmas decorations would be gone when he got up in the morning. Henry was also in awe over the decorations and the nutcrackers. We would often hear him out of his bed, playing and rearranging the nutcrackers at night. We found him asleep next to the Christmas tree one night.

Comments

kedwards said…
We have a similar countdown. My kids loved it! We even had to bring it when they stayed with my parents for a few days. It made Christmas a lot more fun for us all.