Kittly Goes Camping


Yesterday afternoon I was outside saying goodbye to a friend when Diaw (our cat) wandered out of the bushes. She's an indoor only cat and I didn't know how she had gotten outside. I concluded that Nathan must have gone outside to water the tomatoes that morning and she must have snuck out. I took her inside and called Nathan to ask if he went outside that morning. He said no. I asked him how Diaw could have gotten outside if he didn't let her out. We thought about it and remembered that the day before Nathan had taken the boys outside and left the front door open for a long time. Then, we started to put the pieces together. She must have wandered outside around 5:30 that evening and we didn't see her. I had noticed that her food and water bowl were still full that night, but I didn't think much of it. When we were going to bed I heard a cat crying outside. I felt bad for the cat and wished someone would help it, but I didn't go outside to look for it. The next morning I missed her jumping up on the bed, but again I just thought she was sleeping somewhere. Our declawed, indoor only cat had been outside for about 18 hours without us knowing! I felt like such a bad kitty mom! (even though Nathan admits it was his fault for letting her out) I really love our cat and sometimes joke that she is one of our children. I told Nathan I can't believe we lost one of our kids for that long. His response was "She probably had a blast. Just think of it as a camping trip for her." Poor kittly. I hate camping.
*By the way, William calls her "kittly" instead of kitty. It's not a type-o.

Comments

Rachel Hair said…
I love this post. The last two sentences are the best! Especially since the cat weighs twice as much as Austin.
Maren said…
OH, that is so sad about the crying cat. She was calling for you. Oh that is sad. Poor kitty. I am glad you found her all well and safe and that she didn't wonder far.
Amanda said…
Poor kitty! I wonder if she's not as excited or anxious to go outside anymore. She probably thought she was being punished lol.