Looking back...

Our little William is 6 months old today! Nathan and I can't believe it. I thought it would be nice to take a look back at his birth. I can't believe how much this little boy has been through. Some of the pictures are still really, really hard for me to look at. (I didn't post the bad ones.) I know it goes without saying, but we feel extremely grateful that he is here and healthy today!

August 11, 2008
His birthday! Lots and lots of tubes and wires.

This was his bed at Primary Children's Medical Center (PCMC).

5-6 days old
The first time we saw his eyes open!
He was very heavily sedated for the first few days of life because of the ventilator he was on. He started breathing well enough to go to a different ventilator so they took off the sedation. We were so excited to see his eyes! This picture was sooooo hard to get!!

1 week old
Off to surgery #1 (of 2) with his eyes open!
We couldn't believe he had his eyes open. The anesthesiologist had already given him a sedative. He opened his eyes, looked around with a scared face and then shut them.

12 days old
The first time we got to hold him!
I'm sure Nathan would agree this was one of those special life moments that we will never forget.

Nathan holding Wills for the first time. His smile says it all.

Grandma Bleak holding him.
Besides me and Nathan, Grandma Bleak was William's most frequent visitor. Wills and I will be forever grateful for the hours she spent rocking him and holding him while he was in the hospital. Nathan and I wanted to be with him every second, but the nurses frowned upon sleeping by his bedside. Grandma Bleak would come when we weren't there and it made me feel better about leaving him.


A couple weeks old
This was the first time he got to wear one of his own outfits. It made him seem more healthy to me once we could put him in his own baby clothes. Although it doesn't look like it, this outfit is so hard to snap up! I remember standing at the bedside with Nathan for about 5 minutes as we tried to match all the snaps. Luckily, we figured it out.

This was a onesie from the hospital. It says "will cry for food" on it. One of the cute nurses picked it out for him. At this point he wasn't able to have anything to eat, so we thought it was perfect!


2 1/2-3 weeks old
One of his first bottles
He's crying because it's all gone. When he finally started to eat he started with 1 tsp. of Pedialyte. Needless to say it just made him want more.

3 weeks old
Enjoying the morphine
He got morphine to control his surgical pain while he was in the hospital. After he was eating well, the last thing to do before he could come home was to be weaned off of the morphine. It was a long, arduous process!

4 weeks old
He finally got to come home!!

Meeting the rest of the family

We are so grateful for the phone calls, prayers, fasting, notes, support, etc. from all of our friends and family. We feel like things went as well as they did because of all of the prayers on our behalf. Happy 6 month birthday to William!



Comments

Amanda said…
Wow, that feels like so long ago, but I remember all of that so well! Tough times, to say the least. I think you should have posted a picture at the end with him now-all happy and healthy!
Kristin said…
Wow, I really haven't talked to you in a while. I didn't know there were complications! It looks like everything went well and that he is healthy and happy. Yeah!
Amber said…
Isn't it much more fun to look back 6 months later and then get to look immediately at your healthy, happy boy?
What a trooper, he did it! You did it! And now it is just a distant memory, yay!
Happy 1/2 birthday. Ali made Alonzo 1/2 a cake to celebrate. I thought that was pretty cute.
Michelle said…
Stephanie, you and Nathan are such a good examples of strength! What a challenging time, but I am so glad that William is happy and healthy now! I love the picture of when you got to hold him for the first time. I bet that was a very special (long-awaited) moment!
A Close Family said…
Man, a lot has happened in just 6 short months. I sure think you and Nathan are wonderful and am so grateful to Heavenly Father for Wills health. Happy 1/2 birthday Wills!
Lindsay R. said…
Happy 6 months Wills! You guys are such an amazing family!! I am glad you have a blog now too :)

Lindsay Rodman